Spanish romesco sauce is a versatile sauce that's great with chicken, fish, meat and even veggies or potatoes! If you're really strapped for time, you can make the sauce, but use pre-cooked shrimp.
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 6 medium sized garlic cloves (do not peel)
- 1 11.9 ounce jar of roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup canned diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Ingredients for shrimp
- 1 lb large (31-40) raw shrimp (you can get raw shrimp without the shell/tail or with the shell/tail and remove yourself. It's up to you if you want to leave the tail on or not)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Romesco Sauce: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place almonds and garlic cloves on a sheet pan and toast in oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the almonds, but leave the garlic cloves to continue cooking for 10 more minutes. Remove garlic from oven and remove skins when cool enough to handle.
- Place almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Process almonds until they resemble coarse sand, about 30-45 seconds. Add the garlic, peppers, tomatoes, smoked paprika, salt, and cayenne. Blend until smooth.
- Once smooth, add the vinegar and olive oil and blend until well combined. Serve sauce at room temperature.
- Shrimp: Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With a paper towel, pat shrimp dry.
- In bowl, toss shrimp with the olive oil and salt.
- When oven is hot, place an empty sheet pan in the oven for 2 minutes. Remove the sheet pan and add shrimp in a single layer to the hot sheet pan. Place sheet pan with shrimp into the oven and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from oven and chill until cold.
- Serve with romesco sauce.
Sauce tastes best when served at room temperature.