Red Lentil and Carrot Hummus
This colorful, alternative hummus pairs well with freshly baked whole wheat pita chips.
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and roughly cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium size garlic clove, peeled
- 2 TBSP tahini
- 2 TBSP + 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp honey
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place carrot chunks on a sheet pan. Pour the 1 tsp of oil over the carrots and toss to evenly coat with the oil. Roast until tender, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool.
- While carrots are roasting, place water and lentils in a medium size saucepan. Bring water to a boil. As soon as water comes to a boil, immediately reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils have absorbed all of the water, about 7-10 minutes. Stir often during the last few minutes, as lentils will be very thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once lentils and carrots are cool, add them to the bowl of a food processor, along with the garlic. Process for about 10 seconds, then add the rest of the ingredients. Add more lemon and/or salt to taste if necessary.
- Scrape hummus into a serving dish and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Recipe by Lindsey Pine MS, RD, CSSD, CLT