Semifreddo means half frozen in Italian. It's rich and creamy, with a sweet tang from the Red Wine & Orange Cranberry sauce. To reduce the risk of foodborne illness, I suggest that you use pasteurized egg whites. Organic Valley is a popular and good quality brand that is easy to find at Whole Foods, Sprouts and other markets.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup room temperature egg whites (use pastuerized egg whites if worried about consuming raw eggs)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1-3/4 cups Red Wine & Orange Cranberry Sauce (Recipe Here) (Or your favorite cranberry sauce)
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of a 10 inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream on high with the whisk attachment or hand mixer. Beat until fluffy peaks are formed.
- In a large, clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Add the sugar slowly while beating and beat until you see shiny, stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the whipped cream and then fold the cranberry sauce in.
- Spoon the semifreddo mixture into the springform pan and smooth out the top evenly with a spatula.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Allow semifreddo to thaw for about 5-10 minutes before slicing.