These frozen truffles are not only super rich and choclatey, but they are made with healthy ingredients! The oil is used to thin the chocolate to make it easier for dipping. You can forgo the oil, but it will be more difficult to coat the truffles. Don't worry if they don't look like perfectly shaped spheres. They will still look and taste amazing!
- 2 large bananas, peeled ( about 8 ounces without the peel)
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter, crunchy or smooth (make sure to stir well)
- 1-1/4 cups dark chocolate chips (preferably with a cocoa % of at least 65%)
- 2 teaspoons neutral flavored oil or coconut oil (I prefer to use heart healthy Thrive Culinary Algae Oil)
- Slice the bananas and place on a parchment or silcone baking mat lined sheet pan. Place pan in the freezer and allow bananas to freeze for about 1 hour.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the frozen banana slices and peanut butter. Process until mixture is smooth. You will probably need to scrape the bowl multiple times before the mixture fully comes together.
- Spoon banana mixture into a bowl and place in the freezer until mixture is firm. Start checking after about 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove banana mixture from the freezer. If mixture is too firm to scoop, allow to thaw for about 10 minutes. Using a scoop or melon baller with a 1" diameter, scoop out balls of banana mixture and place back on the lined sheet pan. If this gets a little messy, form balls the best you can with your fingers. Place sheet pan in freezer until balls are frozen, about 15 minutes.
- Right before you're ready to remove the banana balls from the freezer, place the chocolate chips and oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second increments until the chocolate is melted. Stir chocolate chips after each round. It shouldn't take you more than a few rounds in the microwave.
- Place a banana ball on a fork and dip into the bowl of chocolate. Use a spoon to pour chocolate over the top.
- Put truffles back on the lined sheet pan and place in freezer until chocolate is hardened, about 5 minutes. Place truffles in an airtight container and store in the freezer until ready to eat.
- When ready to eat, allow truffles to thaw for 5 minutes.