I love chickpea and bean pasta because it contains more fiber and protein than traditional wheat pasta! It's also great for those who need to avoid gluten.
- 10 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, quartered (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 3 whole garlic cloves (do not remove papery skin)
- 1 to 1-1/4 lb cauliflower (about 1/2 a large head) cut into bite sized florets (about 4 to 4-1/2 cups florets)
- 1 large bunch kale, about 10 ounces, destemmed and leaves torn into large pieces
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 eight ounce box of chickpea penne, or bean/lentil pasta
- 1 large bunch flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest ( from 1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Directly on a sheet pan, toss the mushrooms and garlic cloves with 1-1/2 teaspoons of the oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Spread items out over 1/2 of the sheet pan.
- On the other side of the sheet pan, toss the cauliflower florets with 1-1/2 teaspoons of the oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Spread out in 1 layer as much as possible.
- Place sheet pan with veggies in the oven and set timer to go off after 10 minutes.
- While mushrooms and cauliflower are roasting, grab another sheet pan. On that sheet pan, toss kale with 1 teaspoon of the oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Spread out kale evenly.
- Once the 10 minute timer has gone off for the cauliflower and mushrooms, place kale in oven and cook all vegetables for a remaining 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to directions on package.
- While pasta is cooking, chop parsley leaves and add to a large mixing bowl. Add lemon zest, 1 tablespoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Remove garlic from papery skin and create a paste by mashing with the back of your knife onto the cutting board. Add to parsley mixture and stir to combine.
- Add roasted cauliflower, mushrooms and kale to the bowl.
- Drain pasta and quickly add hot pasta to the bowl with the veggies. Add feta cheese and mix thoroughly to combine.
Pasta tastes best served immediately. Garnish with 1 teaspoon of feta cheese and a pinch of extra lemon zest on each serving if you wish.