Makes approx. 1-1/2 cups
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 3 Tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup (Grade B is fine; don’t bother with fake maple flavor pancake syrups)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 325o F. Place a silicone baking mat or a piece of parchment paper on a ½ size sheetpan. Mix cashews, maple syrup and ¼ tsp salt in a mixing bowl, then transfer nut mixture onto the baking mat. Bake nuts for 15-20 minutes, or until very lightly golden in color. Don’t over toast the nuts. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place cooled nut mixture in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Scrape down sides of bowl and turn machine back on. Add canola oil in a thin stream while machine is on. Add just enough so that a smooth paste is formed. You may not need all 2 Tablespoons of the oil. Stop machine and scrape down sides of bowl. Add remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt if desired and pulse to incorporate.
- The less oil you add and the less amount of time you process the mixture, the coarser and crunchier the cashew butter will be.