Blue Cheese Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Prosciutto
My favorite appetizer of all time!
- 18 plump dates (I find that the best quality dates come from middle eastern markets; don’t buy dry dates)
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons milk (whatever type you have on hand is fine…I used nonfat milk)
- 4 thin slices prosciutto (package at the grocery store usually contains approximately 6 slices)
- Preheat oven to 350o F. Line a ½ size sheetpan with a silicone baking mat or a piece of parchment paper.
- Remove the pits from the dates with a small paring knife by making a slit across the top of the date, from back to front. You should now be able to easily lift the pit out. Some may be more stubborn to remove than others.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the blue cheese, rosemary and milk until a paste is formed.
- Cut the prosciutto slices into strips, about ¾ inch wide and 1 inch long. Each strip does not have to be perfect . Whatever size will fit around the date will work.
- Stuff each date with ½ teaspoon of the cheese mixture. Wrap each date in 1 of the cut prosciutto slices. Place on baking mat and bake for 10 minutes.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature
Recipe by Lindsey Pine MS, RD, CSSD, CLT