These energy bites remind me of chocolate truffles! Decadent, but full of highly nutritious ingredients to tide you over as a snack, satisfy your sweet tooth for dessert, or even fill in as a grab n' go breakfast. For additional banana flavor, try adding a dash of banana liqueur or banana flavor.
If you don't want to hand chop the almonds, you can also use a food processor.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond butter, smooth or crunchy
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1 large, soft date, pitted and chopped until mashed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, chopped into very small shards and pieces (I used 72% cacao)
- 1 ounce raw almonds (about 24-26 almonds), finely chopped
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the almond butter, oats, ground flax seed, mashed banana, mashed date, cinnamon and chocolate. Stir until well combined and the chocolate is distributed equally throughout mixture.
- Spread chopped almonds onto a plate.
- Use a tablespoon size measuring spoon to scoop out level tabelspoons of the mixture, roll into balls and roll in the almond mixture until each ball is evenly coated.
- Refrigerate bites for about an hour to firm.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.