With the holiday season in full swing, are you taking it in stride or are you riddled with anxiety? Don’t sweat it! You’ve got this! If you have good habits during the rest of the year, those will probably carry over into the holiday season. Sometimes we just need a few reminders though. If you’re a holiday health pro, or just starting the path to wellness, enjoy my holiday survival tips!
Holiday Food Battle Strategy
- Keep your work desk stocked with healthy and tasty snacks so your not as tempted to reach for your coworkers’ holiday candy and cookie stash.
- Bring snacks when you’re holiday shopping so you don’t resort to crappy mall food when the hunger monster comes out.
- Go into parties and dinners with the mindset of eating normally until you are satisfied rather than pumping yourself up for an eating extravaganza where you eat until your pants need to be unbuttoned.
- If you aren’t hosting the party, find out ahead of time what’s being served. You’re more likely to make better choices if you can strategize in advance.
- Don’t be the surprise entertainment for the party and set up some alocohol parameters to work within such as have one glass of wine instead of three. Drink a glass of water between each alcoholic beverage.
- If there’s a food that you have been looking forward to all year, like Aunt Patty’s snowball cookies, then just eat it, and don’t deprive yourself. Enjoy it to the fullest, then go back to your usual routine the next day.
- Do not starve yourself the day of a party and do not go into the meal ravenously hungry. You’ll probably eat more than you intended, especially during appetizer time. Have a snack before you go to the event.
Remember to be nice to YOU (Practice self care)
- Do something nice for yourself every day, whatever that looks like for you.
- Keep that gut health in tip top shape by eating gut healthy fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kombucha, greek yogurt and pickled veggies. Check out my post on gut health here.
- Eat lots of good mood foods such as salmon, nuts, vegetables, berries, beans, and sweet potatoes just to name a few. And don’t forget to hydrate with plenty of water!
- Get an aromatherapy diffuser to delight, relax, or wake up your senses. With tons of essential oil options, this is a super easy way to transform your mood instantly and make your room smell really good!
- Meditate, even if it’s just for 5 minutes! If this sounds daunting, try an app or even a group meditation class. I love the classes at Unplug. You’ll feel so relaxed!
- Read a book….for FUN! Nothing work or school related. Stimulate your imagination!
Shake that money maker (aka exercise)
- Keep up your workout schedule during the holidays. Even if you don’t have time because you’re preparing for guests, vigorously cleaning your house is better than nothing.
- Make an appointment to exercise and treat it like a meeting. I find it’s easier to mentally keep that appointment if you change into your workout clothes BEFORE you leave the office.
- Sign up for an event such as a 5K fun run or ramp up your beast mode and participate in a Spartan obstacle race. Challenge yourself to do something maybe you thought you couldn’t do.
- Enjoy the winter-y outdoors wherever your are. Whether that means taking a run on the beach in Southern California or snoe shoeing in Michigan, just get outside.
- Family or friends don’t like the same activities as you? Search for a Meet Up group or Facebook group with people who enjoy the same type of activeness as you.