With super high summer temperatures in Los Angeles for the past month and the sweltering heat not coming to an end anytime soon, the stove and oven are off limits. To make things even more interesting (and by interesting I mean shitty), our air conditioning in the hot box apartment is broken and the landlord isn’t looking to fix it anytime soon.
So what do you do when you’re hungry for a snack, but don’t want to heat up the kitchen? You make guacamole of course!
I was inspired by one the ingenuity of one of my dinner mates last month while eating at BS Taqueria in downtown LA. She was watching her carb intake and asked for a side of cucumbers to dip into the guac appetizer. Holy guacamole! What a fantastically tasty idea!! This was a situation where brilliance meets deliciousness. Didn’t hurt that happy hour margaritas were standing by!
Now back to my hot box kitchen. I whipped up some guacamole with garlic, salt, lime and cilantro, spooned it onto crisp cucumber rounds and topped with crunchy toasted pepitas or walnuts. I couldn’t decide if the walnuts or pepitas was better, so I decided to include the option of using either in the recipe.
The heavens sang when I put this combo of flavors and textures to my mouth! So good! This is literally my new favorite snack/hors d’ouvres. If I’m coming to a party anytime soon, guess what app I’ll be bringing??? 🙂
This low carb appetizer with veggies and healthy fats also makes for a great snack for anytime of the day!
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado pulp (1 small avocado)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Few dashes hot sauce
- 20 slices English cucumber, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/8 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pepitas
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mashed avocado, garlic powder, lime juice, salt, cilantro and hot sauce. Mix well.
- Place 1 teaspoon guacamole on each cucumber round and top with 1/4 teaspoon walnuts or pepitas.